If Jesus Loves Me, Why Does My Coffee Taste so BLAH!?

coffee-1117933_1920 copy

Coffee.

Just the thought of it makes me smile.

Mmmm…coffee.

Every morning my favorite mug sits ready for me to brew of fresh cup of coffee into her; I think the warmth and richness of it makes her smile too!

After Jesus and my man, I’d have to say that this delicious beverage is my next best friend.

Coffee, oh how I heart thee!

But here’s the deal…I do NOT like, love, nor remotely consider sipping on a cup of “blah!” coffee.

By “blah!” coffee, I mean bitter, flavorless, icky coffee; it makes me gag.

I like to show my coffee a little extra lovin’ before I begin sipping. For instance, I add one packet of yummy Stevia in the Raw and then pour in Vanilla Caramel creamer. And yes, there is an exact method to this process.

Brew the perfect cup of coffee. Pour in the Stevia. Stir. Shake creamer and begin pouring. Count slowly to three- 1…2…3…- stir. And ta-da, done!

“Blah!” coffee made oh, so scrumptious!!

“Blah!” coffee has got me to thinkin’ about something. My life; my sometimes “blah!” life.

I know God loves me with an “everlasting love” (Jeremiah 31:3, NLT) and I know Jesus came to “give me a rich and satisfying life” (John 10:10, NLT), but sometimes I don’t feel so loved or rich or satisfied. Sometimes I just feel “blah!”.

Sometimes my life is bitter, flavorless, and plain out icky.

Have you ever been just “blah!”? There’s myriad of circumstances and situations that can push us into the “blah!”. Loss of a job, illness, dwindling funds in the checking AND savings accounts. Kids going crazy, acting like they’ve lost every ounce of sense they had. Husband always working late and leaving you to do everything. Puppies pooping on the floor again. A burned dinner. Your favorite pair of jeans ruined by bleach. Sippy cups full of milk forgotten in the mini-van leaving it to smell like a dairy cow blew up in there. A beautiful mural created by your toddler with a permanent marker on the back of your new sofa. A phone call from the high school informing you that your child has skipped school…again. All things that, when you finally sit down at night and breathe for the first time all day, cause you to shake your head and say, “If Jesus loves me, why is my life so “blah!”?”

What do we do when the “blah!” rears her ugly head? We press harder into Jesus! Ok…let me be completely honest with you…I used to get really miffed when I was smack dab in the middle of the “blah!” and someone would say, “Honey, you need to pray. Give it all to Jesus,” or “When was the last time you spent time in the Word?” Man, that would send me reeling with anger! Because, in the middle of the “blah!” I didn’t want to pray and I didn’t want to read my Bible. I just wanted the “blah!” to go away. And so, I wouldn’t pray and I wouldn’t get in the Word. I would continue to go about my days just as I had been, secretly hoping it would all go away. But, you know what? The “blah!” would still be there.

And, so I’ve learned, through many times of “blah!”, that when she rears her ugly head I HAVE to pray and I HAVE to get in the Word. I HAVE TO! I have to do my part. I have to act. Just like with my coffee remaining bitter and flavorless and icky if I don’t show it a little extra lovin’, my “blah!” life is going to hang around until I press harder into Jesus. Secretly hoping for the “blah!” to go away doesn’t work! Jesus is only One who can take our “blah!” and make it delicious and sweet and palatable to ourselves and others.

Jesus said, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] (Matthew 11:28, Amplified Bible). He said, “Come to Me,” which means action on our part. When cannot continue to sit in the “blah!” and expect it to dissipate from our lives. We must go to Jesus. And when we go to Him with all the “blah!” He promises to relieve and refresh our souls. He doesn’t promise to take it all away but He does promise to strengthen and help us in our time of need (Isaiah 41:10, NLT).

And not only will He give strength and help, but He promises that we will taste of His goodness; His delicious, wonderful goodness.

“Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!”

Psalm 34:8, NLT

Does today find you in the “blah!”? My friend, I’ve been there! And, I know firsthand that Jesus is the perfect “blah!” remover; He really is. I also completely understand if you are hesitant to press harder into Him right now. And, I want you to know it’s okay to be in that place. What’s not okay though, is for you to stay there! So, I’m going to pray for you. I’m going to pray that your hunger for Jesus and His Word increases. I’m going to pray that you won’t settle for a life of “blah!” but will have an ever growing desire to experience a delicious, abundant, satisfying life in Jesus.

There’s no ifs ands or buts about it…Jesus loves you with an everlasting love and He came to turn your “blah!” into pure yumminess.

Jenifer Jernigan

Jenifer Jernigan is a wife and mom of 3 whose deepest longing is to please Jesus, only Jesus. Growing up as the daughter of a pastor, she knew church but she didn’t know Jesus. After years of rebellion and heartache, Jenifer found freedom and healing through God’s Word. Now, as founder of Diving Deeper Ministries, her passion is to equip others to d.i.v.e. (define~investigate~visualize~embrace) head first into God's Word so that they, too, can experience freedom and abundant living. Her first book Dive Deeper: Finding Deep Faith Beyond Shallow Religion is part of Thomas Nelson’s Inscribed Studies collection. Join Jenifer at www.jeniferjernigan.com.

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - YouTube

1. Oh I love this post. I am a coffee addict! And I too dislike very a much a cup of blah coffee! Sometimes my spiritual life feels blah. No excitement, no zest or zeal. I need a “Jesus pick-me-up”! So thankful He is never blah!

• Indeed Barbie, He IS NEVER blah! And I’m so thankful He refuses to leave us in the blah! Blessings to you!

2. Thank you for this post. Wow does the Lord ever know how to reach me! This hit me hard. I had a burden put on me last night that I can’t carry alone. Your words brought tears to my eyes and gave my heart the direction it needs to go…back to Him. I have added Matt. 11:28 to my fridge next to Phil. 4:6. Thank you again. Thank God for using you to reach me when I needed reached out to.

• Oh Mindy…sending you a cyber-space hug!!! The Lord is so good to give us exactly what we need at the exact moment we need it. He is the One who daily carries our burdens; He is our salvation. (Psalm 68:19) He meets us where we are, giving us the strength we need to carry on! He is our strength and our shield and ever present help at all times. (Psalm 28:7; Psalm 46:1) Praying His comfort and peace flood your soul today. He loves you, precious one!!

3. Oh, Jen – this is FANTABULOUS. Needed this reminder yesterday ;)But today will do.

4. Now these are terms I can understand! 🙂 Awesome post! I so needed this today. Thanks!

• Bless you, Tonya! May the Lord turn your blah into delightful yumminess!!

5. I am the same way as Barbie. I love coffee also, but dislike it when it’s blah. It is also the way my spiritual life has been lately & why I loved this devotional today.
    This part is what really stuck out to me, “Because, in the middle of the “blah!” I didn’t want to pray and I didn’t want to read my Bible. I just wanted the “blah!” to go away. And so, I wouldn’t pray and I wouldn’t get in the Word. I would continue to go about my days just as I had been, secretly hoping it would all go away. But, you know what? The “blah!” would still be there.” It explains what I’ve been going through to a tee.
    I’ve also realized that I can’t “wish” it away, or ignore it & “hope” it goes away. Sooner or later I’m going to “have” to deal with it.
    Thanks for the encouragement & on-time word today. 🙂

• That is so true, Tiffany, we have to deal with our blah! And I’m so very thankful that the Lord is there to help us deal with it! Blessings to you today!

6. Today’s devotion really spoke to me as it reminded me and encouraged me not to wallow in the blah times of my life but, in those blah times to go to God in prayer and saturate myself in His word at times like this more than ever.

• Yes, Juli! When the blah comes, although it’s tough not to, we must not wallow but instead go to Jesus. One thing I love about the Lord is that I can go to Him blah-filled and silent, yet He still ministers to my soul. Just sitting in His presence, being still, and recognizing Him as God is refreshing to the stale heart. (Psalm 46:10) Blessings to you!

7. When I find myself in those blah phases, I usually discover that it is because I am looking at me, circumstances, negative influences of others, when I should be looking at the Lord and who He is and All He’s done for me.

• Kathy, that is so true!!! May we stay focused on Jesus. Blessings to you!

8. This was great Jennifer! Just what I needed and when I needed it! God bless you!

• Praise the Lord, Robin. May He turn your blah into abundant living!

9. God bless you, Jenifer! Jesus and coffee together; isn’t getting any better than this:)
    This was straight from Jesus’ heart! I broke my right toe last week and got a cast. I have been feeling miserable and angry almost all week, not being able to do things as I normally do, as fast, or as independently as I am used to. I desperately need a yumminess for my blah!

• Praying for quick healing! And praying Jesus turns yours blah into delightful yumminess!

10. I am a bear if I don’t have my coffee in the morning. I don’t doctor mine as much as you do, but without the right amount of creamer it’s not right. Black coffee? blah. Weak coffee? blah. But I will endure blah for the sake of having my coffee. That’s how I have to pray and read the Word when I’m feeling “blah”, too. I do it because, I’ve discovered through experience (with both coffee and Jesus), without a daily dose, I am not a pleasant person.

Great post – thank you!

11. wonderful post.

12. I must say that I was drawn to this by the simple word “coffee”, oh how I heart my morning coffee. I like it black though from home, just the way my husband makes it (and he doesn’t even like coffee). Thank you for bringing your wise words to me, I needed to read it today. My life seems to overrun me sometimes, it’s good to know I am “normal”. Good stuff!

<3 Debbie