It’s every little girl’s dream – marry Prince Charming, go running off into the sunset together and living happily ever after.
You come home from your honeymoon and you discover that Prince Charming leaves a trail of dust everywhere he goes. His mother always picked up after him and he just assumed you were his new maid service. You overlook it because, well, you’re in love.
A few months into the marriage you begin to get emails from your Mother-in-law with recipes attached. It turns out Prince Charming told his mother you don’t cook as good as she does. So she helps you out with a few of his favorite dishes. It’s getting harder to hide your frustration and this time you lash out at him and have your first fight.
The path to oneness is strewn with dirty dishes, hectic schedules, and bad advice. Every marriage has its ups and downs. That’s to be expected. But when we find ourselves fighting the same battles over and over, we begin to build a wall around ourselves and become isolated from one another. Two people living under the same roof, but living totally separate lives. Oneness is broken.
Most of us want more from our marriages than this, we just don’t know how to get it.
Enter Linda Dillow and her newest book, What’s It Like To Be Married to Me? And Other Dangerous Questions. You may recognize her name as she has many well known titles to her credit. She’s authored Creative Counterpart, Calm My Anxious Heart, Satisfy My Thirsty Sould and she also co-authored the Best-Selling book Intimate Issues with Lorraine Pintus.
In this, her newest book, Linda shares the best and worst things she ever did in her 50 year marriage, plus the results from her survey taken by 500 wives. You’ll life, you’ll cry, but most of all you’ll identify.
This is not a book about marriage; it’s a book about how to live out marriage, day by day and year by year, as we as women are challenged to become the wives we’ve longed to be and watch it impact the oneness in our marriages by filling them with passion, intimacy and joy.
Throughout this book I found myself challenged by risky questions, the type that put ME on the hot seat and NOT my husband.
Here’s a sampling of the questions that I’ve had to think through, swallow my pride and answer honestly:
- What’s really important to me?
- What will it take for me to make our marriage a priority?
- What does it feel like to be my husband?
- What’s it like to make love with me?
- Am I willing to change my attitude?
- Why do I want to stay mad at him?
This book is about knowing the difference between having a desire for a better marriage and setting the goal of a better marriage – as I look in the mirror to see how I can change. As part of that process, I learned how to create my own Marriage Purpose Statement and to pray Dangerous Prayers. Prayers that challenge me to consider what it’s like being married to me, being devoted in prayer for my husband, to learn to speak the language of gratitude and asking the Lord to show me what encouragement and respect look like to him, just to name a few.
Would you like to learn more about setting goals for a better marriage? Here are 3 ways.
- Buy the book! It’s available through most bookstores and online bookstores such as Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
- Listen to my CWA Radio Show on BlogTalkRadio, Grace Café. I’m interviewing Linda Dillow LIVE on Monday, March 14 at 11:00 Eastern time. If you miss the live broadcast, don’t worry, it’s archived as a podcast so you can listen or download it anytime from the same link. Click on the link above that says Grace Café. It will take you directly to the interview. ***There’s also a giveaway through Grace Café until Thursday. Find us on FB and leave a message that you would like to win a copy of the book. The winner there will be announced on Friday afternoon.
- **Enter our Giveaway right here at the Marriage Counter! We are going to bless one woman with a copy of What Is It Like To Be Married To Me. You can be entered a total of 4 times. Simply leave a comment stating you would like to win a copy of Linda Dillow’s book. If you Facebook a link to this post, come back and tell me and you’ll be entered a second time. Mention it on your blog with a link to this post and be entered a third time. But wait! There’s more! Tweet this post and you’ll be entered a fourth time! Remember to come back here each time and comment about where you’ve left a link. ***The giveaway will end Sunday, March 20 at Noon. The winner will be announced with Monday’s new marriage post.***
Here is the link for the interview with Linda Dillow: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cwa-radio/2011/03/14/grace-cafe