Faith Journey

My son is learning to type using a computer program. Today was his third day, and he was slowly typing the middle row of keys, trying not to look at his fingers. There were about 8 lines showing; and as he typed each line, another line would appear on the bottom. After five minutes of typing, he finally looked at me.

“New lines keep coming up, Mommy. When is this going to end?” he asked anxiously.

I said, “Type a few more lines, and you’ll probably see the end come up soon.”

He went back to typing, but it was obvious by the way he was slouching in his chair and by the irritable expression on his face that he had lost hope of ever seeing the end to his lesson.

Suddenly, he punched the last key on the line he was typing, and the final sentence came into sight. He was about four lines away from finishing. My son’s back straightened and a smile spread across his face. He was almost there!

It’s interesting how a good dose of perspective can help you see something through to the end.

Many times in my Christian journey, I’ve had to walk out on faith. Sometimes my acts of faith are immediately confirmed; other times, however, I’m a million steps into “Faith-land” without any physical signs that I’m going the right way.

I feel God’s Spirit in me approving my direction, but it would be so nice if I could see the Promise Land! Often, I become disillusioned, and I feel like giving up and not finishing. But God graciously renews my strength right when I need it most. There are some faith journeys that I’m on that God is in the double digits of  giving me strength-renewal!

Though the ending may not be in sight, I know that God works all things for His good. I know that He loves me, and He wants the best for me. And I know that He would rescue me and redirect my steps if I somehow lost my way.

By faith I choose to straighten my back and put a smile on my face because I know that I’m offering my life to the purposes of my Creator, and He will not steer me wrong. I trust that He has amazing plans for me, and I believe His Word and the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

Question: Do you feel like you’re in the wilderness right now for away from your Promise Land? How has God renewed your strength? How has your faith grown during your journey?

“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage” (Psalm 84.5 NIV).

Alisa Hope Wagner

Alisa Hope Wagner is aggressive about leading a simple life. She enjoys working out, reading, writing and communicating God’s love and truth. She married her high school sweetheart, and together they enjoy raising their children in a Christ-centered home. Though an introvert by nature, Alisa easily expresses herself through social media, especially on her blog. She has earned her B.A. Degree in English and her M.S. Degree in Applied English Linguistics, and she volunteered in women’s ministry leadership and life group ministry for her church. She trained in Mixed Martial Arts and won her bout by TKO! She has written her debut novel, Eve of Awakening, and has started the sequel, Bear Into Redemption.

1. Several good books I’ve read recently and one currently reading have boosted my faith: ONE SIMPLE ACT by Debbie Macomber, 66 LOVE LETTERS by Dr. Larry Crabb, THE LISTENER, by Teri Blackstock and THE BOY WHO CAME BACK FROM HEAVEN.

2. What a great post! Sometimes it so challenging to keep on keeping on when we have no idea where the finish line is. But every time we press on through a challenge God increases our faith and assures us that it is worth it!

3. HE is so good to keep us going and let us know He loves us. Thanks for this devotion!!! Very good encouragement!
    I am just thankful i haven’t had to wait 40 years in the dessert :O)
    Praise God He always reveals to me He is there even if things aren’t happening the way i think they should :O)

4. We just walked through a long long faith journey to reach step 1 in something God called us to do – from 1997 to June 2010 – yet here we are, perfect timing, right where we are supposed to be. Was the journey fraught with doubt we had to beat down? Oh yes. Did we often feel like we *might* be missing it? Oh YES. Are we glad we stuck with it?? YES! God is good and He sustained us as we kept our eyes on Him!

5. Forgot to say, excellent post!!

6. Your son’s typing story really nailed this one for me. How often have I given up because I couldn’t see the end in sight? So then I would start grumbling…in fact it got pretty ugly at one point. But God really does refresh us with windows of light here and there, and our faith is on its wings once again…

7. Alisa,
    This story is so practical and really hits home.

Ginger

8. What a wonderful reminder, Alisa. Lifting our head in faith, no matter how far the end might be, is a wonderful prospect.

9. This is a great example of perspective. I have gone through 5 years of feeling a bit lost in the wilderness, with hubs job? It is working out now, with all (well many) of the pieces falling into place. This is Life!

10. Definitely in the wilderness is some areas of my life but God has a way bringing little doses of encouragement as walk. Often it’s through His Word but other times, it comes through reading insights shared by others.

11. This entire last year has been a faith journey! I often felt like you son. When you described your son, it reminded me of the college students I used to teach. They felt that way learning new things, pushing them to do things they’ve never done before. However, once they reached the end, they felt so strong,so successful, so courageous!

Wonderful Post!

12. Great post! I can really relate to this. Sometimes we can get discouraged when we can’t “see” something. I’m doing a bible study with Priscilla Shirer’s One in a Million and this week the topic is about your wilderness. It is about letting life’s challenges and knowing that it is God’s choice to help us see potential in ourselves. Thanks Alisa! 🙂

1. Internet Cafe: Faith Journey | Faith Imagined - [...] You can also read this the Internet Cafe! [...]