My Mauve God

In 2010, I read a ton of books written by Christian leaders. I felt like God opened my mind, and the insights from these amazing men and women poured into my soul. However, something began to irritate me – I became a little jealous of God’s glory in these people’s lives. His Spirit shone in brilliant colors that seemed to overshadow my seemingly lackluster  life.

For example, one leader saw the physical manifestation of Jesus during a very difficult time in his life. Another leader witnessed the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, which came down on his audience like fire. And another leader performed a miraculous healing with the power of Jesus’ name. I began to feel inadequate because I had never experienced any of these things, and I desired so much to see God’s glory in my life.

I contemplated all of this while I was helping my kids color at the kitchen table. I had just bought a jumbo box of crayons, and I was intrigued by all the shades of the same color. I felt the Holy Spirit tell me to pick a color. I chose pink. Then He told me to gather all the shades of pink I could find. He had me write the name of each crayon in its color on a piece of paper. By the time I was done writing all the shades of pink, I had a list of over 20 colors. I folded the paper and stuck it into the pocket of my jeans. I knew God was going to teach me something.

Once I put my kids to sleep for naptime, I went into my closet to pray and read my Bible. I felt the Holy Spirit tell me to take the list out and look at it. I unfolded it and looked from one color to the next, analyzing how each color name fit its shade. Some pinks were bright with a hint of orange. Others were bold with a lot of red. While others were so pale that they were almost transparent.

God asked me, “Which color do you like best?”

I scanned the list and chose mauve.

Why do you like mauve,” He asked.

“It’s subtle, earthy and not overtly showy,” I said. Though I appreciated the brighter and more visible shades of pink, I liked the low-key, yet deep shade of mauve. (Come to find out that mauve is more of a purple, which so happens to be my favorite color!)

God then said, “Mauve is my shade of love for you. It is how My glory appears in your life. I show Myself in the normal activities of your day—very subtle, but always special.”

I thought about this for a moment, and I understood what God was saying. I see God in everything around me: I see Him in a bird flying, I see Him in my kids, I see Him in a song on the radio, I see Him in my memories and my daily activities. I see Him in the small nuances of my life; and His glory in me is just as powerful and amazing as His glory in the prophet, the preacher and the healer. I see God face to face, and His presence lives in and through me. He is my Mauve God.

"With him [Moses] I speak face to face, clearly and not in riddles; he sees the form of the LORD" (Numbers 12.8a).

Alisa Hope Wagner

Alisa Hope Wagner is aggressive about leading a simple life. She enjoys working out, reading, writing and communicating God’s love and truth. She married her high school sweetheart, and together they enjoy raising their children in a Christ-centered home. Though an introvert by nature, Alisa easily expresses herself through social media, especially on her blog. She has earned her B.A. Degree in English and her M.S. Degree in Applied English Linguistics, and she volunteered in women’s ministry leadership and life group ministry for her church. She trained in Mixed Martial Arts and won her bout by TKO! She has written her debut novel, Eve of Awakening, and has started the sequel, Bear Into Redemption.

1. Love this! Thanks for sharing. Isn’t it funny.. ok, not so funny, how we not only try to box in God but how we box ourselves in? We create our own prison with expectations of what things are suppose to look like instead of seeing the gift of what is. God will never fit into a box as our minds can’t possibly comprehend the fullness of Him. We can’t be confined to a box either. How sad, the things we do to ourselves with comparison and assumptions. I loved your story. Love how God takes the practical in our lives and shows us that yes, He is even glorified in a box of crayons!

2. Oh girl! I was nodding my head at this post! As I got to the end I recognized your button and began to smile. Do you not have any idea how I (and prob. many others) see you as you see the leaders that you read?!

You encourage and challenge me to dig deeper because I see your insight.

God bless you dear sister and I’m thrilled that God is your mauve God. Beautiful shade!

3. This is beautiful sharing my friend!

I had a similar experience a few years ago and for me GOD is my Rich Red GOD. Your heart share is beautiful.

Keep living for HIM. You shine His light beautifully

4. Love your story Alisa, but what I really love is that when you aren’t searching or looking…God is going to give you one of those “Knock Your Socks Off Moments”. I just think He does that sometimes, just because you don’t need it or seek it. This so reminds me of my Pink Carnation theme and what led me to it. Ordinary becoming extraordinary in God’s eyes. I may be talking randomly here, but I think if God’s ways are looked at differently in the heavenly, then maybe those small, ordinary activities where you see Him could be the biggest sought out, talked about events in Heaven. Who knows?

I agree with Kela, you are looked at greatly in my eyes. I don’t even know the men you speak of, lol. I should, but knowing you is A+ in my book

5. Alisa – as always, you take me to a deeper place – just a little closer to the throne room! I love how God spoke to you in that way. We probably all have those feelings at some time or another – that God is more ‘real’ to someone else. Truth is He is just as real to us! He wants us to want HIM!!!

6. What an amazing word from the Lord, and so inspiring. I love what you share about the simple, every day ways he speaks to you. It just reminds me that if we slow down and take the time to listen, we can see so much wonder in the every day!

7. Fabulous post, Alisa. Love this.

8. This is a wonderful insight! How God can be so very individual with each one of us is mind blowing isn’t it?

9. I love this, what color are you with God! An encouraging post, we are all different colors.

10. Awesome. God in full color.
    Ginger

11. Alisa,

Good word today. Thanks for the reminder to let God be God to us, not trying to copy anyone else’s color, style, the manifestation of God in their lives.

Isn’t it amazing to know that He want to reveal Himself to every single one of us individually?

I guess I need to figure out what my color is!

Melanie

12. Hi Alisa –

What a great example! God does work with each of our personalities.

Susan 🙂

13. What a great post Alisa! I love it and love that God showed you His color for you!! I am so thankful that we can see Him in every shade and in everything there is! God bless you for this post!

14. There is exquisite beauty in the Holy Spirit, and in being in touch with the good that God makes available to us, even in these troubling times with what is on the news. A refreshing post for men and women alike who desire a richer, fuller life with The Lord!

15. thanks for the post. its cool how God shows us his love through certain colors. keep up the great writing!

16. Once I realized that we are called to be what he created us to be – that released a lot of unhealthy expectations in my life. It amazes me when people have amazing God-experiences that motivates others. Sometimes, it made me feel less holy, less worthy. But that’s their job, that’s what they were created to do. God placed within me a different job just right for how He created me – we just cannot compare our walk and our experiences against another’s calling.

I’m a blue girl myself. I love blue – all shades. Pink is second in line, though:)Beige Everyday is my favorite lipstick! LOL

17. This is so beautiful! I love the way you described how you relate to God. I totally thought of my mother-in-law when I read it. Thanks! ~Jessica

1. Tweets that mention My Mauve God -- Topsy.com - [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Karin Yvette Lane, icdevos. icdevos said: My Mauve God http://goo.gl/fb/wHNmL [...]
  2. Internet Cafe: My Mauve God | Faith Imagined - [...] You can also read this devotional at the Internet Cafe! [...]