Medic Alert

It’s my call sign. Jingle jangle. My husband can find me just listening for it. If I reach to move clothes on a rack, jingle jangle. When I cook dinner, jingle jangle. As I apply my make-up, jingle jangle. On my left arm, right next to my watch, is the source of my music. It’s a bracelet I wear always. On one side it says MEDIC ALERT, on the other it reads DIABETES, INSULIN DEPENDENT.

Insulin dependent. I cannot go one day, not even one meal, without the medicine my disease requires. If I eat without it, at first, I might not notice. But after a few hours, my body sends signs of its need for insulin. My eyesight is blurry. My head pains slightly, and I’m very sleepy. But most of all I crave water. This need for water is my body’s natural response to the overabundance of sugar.

Were I ever to pass out, my MEDIC ALERT bracelet would immediately communicate to paramedics my need for insulin.

Around my neck I wear a cross. The symbol alone tells a story without me saying a word. On the back, it should read CHRISTIAN, JESUS DEPENDENT.

I’m going to be honest and tell you there are days when I don’t find time to sit alone with Christ. To begin with, it’s not obvious. But after a while, my heart sends signs of its need for the Almighty Father. My attitude sours. My patience runs thin, and I have a knee-jerk reaction to judge others. But most of all, I crave water – the water that only God can provide. This need for water is my heart’s natural response to the lack of His grace within me.

But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” John 4:14 NIV

I am completely dependent on Jesus. I need Him every hour. I wouldn’t think of going through a day without my insulin. Why do I think I can make it through a day without my Savior?

How are you feeling today? Should we alert a medic for you?

Oh God, I come before you humbled. I am sorry I take you for granted. Forgive me for thinking I can do it alone. I need You. I am completely dependent on Your grace and mercy. Lord, don’t turn your face from me. Let me drink from the living water that only You can provide. Refresh my soul, my God and my Redeemer. I love you with all my heart. Amen.

Carol Hatcher

CAROL HATCHER is a wife, mother, teacher, and writer. She taught elementary school for six years when she traded being called “Mrs. Hatcher” for “Mommy.” Carol is a graduate of Proverbs 31 Ministries She Speaks and has served on faculty for the Glorieta Christian Writer’s Conference. Her publishing credits include P31 Woman Magazine, The Upper Room, Thriving Family Magazine, CBN.com, and Chicken Soup for the Soul. She is co-author of Your First Year of Motherhood published by Guideposts. She is a regular contributor for the Internet Cafe, Just 18 Summers and The Presidential Prayer Team. Carol and her husband, Alan, live in Buford, Georgia with their three children. She and Alan teach marriage classes at their church as well as lead marriage conferences. They hope to encourage others to create marriages that last. Whether writing or speaking, Carol combines her southern humor with her love for Jesus to share how we can learn from our everyday experiences and grow closer to God. Her passion is to challenge others to be bold for Christ by saying, “Use me, Lord” each and every day. Stop by and visit the flock at her personal website “sheep to the right.”

1. Thanks for such wisdom shared here, bless you.

2. Just joining you for my morning scripture, my coffee is filled, my daily meds are in hand. I take haven’t found my glasses yet this morning but I NEED my scripture to think about in the shower. Thanks. (THank YOU LORD.)

3. What a wonderful reminder that we need to be sustained daily by God. It was a beautiful morning devotion. Thank you so much for sharing.

4. “Christian – Christ Dependent” I love that! I think I’ll make myself a cross necklace that says that!

5. Oh, do I EVER love this post!! Such a wonderful, powerful message – and SO true! Thank you Carol.

6. excellent….I need Jesus today ,as always.Been worrying about the plans I have made for the day….so unnecessary!

7. Carol, once again your writings have filled my heart with inspiration. I adore how He works through you to get to me. Thank you as always!

8. As I read your prayer, it was mine also. Thank you Carol

9. What a great analogy!! Thankfully I don’t have a medic bracelet, but I am definitely Christ dependent!!! Thanks for sharing that word!!!

10. This is truly a Blessed Devotional! I am a newly diagnosed Diabetic, and take Insulin, so I know how important it is for us as Christians to stay connected to the Vine, who is Jesus Christ in our lives. I am so consumed with this new change in my life that the enemy tried to get me to just be discouraged and not spend the time I always do with my Savior, but I had to pull myself together, tired and all, and pray so that I can get back my spiritual, and physical strength. I am feeling and doing better now, and making arrangements to Live and not die! Thanks so much for the word!

11. That was very well said. Thanks for giving me a different perspective on life. I truly like that. As much as you need insulin you need GOD (more than you need the insulin). Thank you for that eye opener because regardless of what is going on in our lives, good or bad, we can never exist without our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and let the truth be known that when things are going well is exactly when we need more of him because we know that the devil is just standing by for that one moment for us to lose sight as to who gives us life and who dictates all goings on in our lives.

Thank you again for your thoughts very enlightening!

• You got it, Karen. I need my God so much more. You are so very welcome. Thank you! 🙂

12. Great post Carol. I am glad that I have His mark on my head — I am sealed by His Spirit. I desperately need Jesus every day — just like you my Sister.

Thanks for sharing with us!
    Beth

13. AMEN!!! well said in such a profound analogy once again, in very few words you captured our basic need and related it to a personal medical alert. Yet our spiritual alert sometimes needs fixing first so all other healings are available! We need to be alert to our spiritual need. You summed it up beautifully Carol…

I know I could not make it a minute without that JESUS-Holy Spirit FILL to jump start my day. And throughout my day, I need the constant alert to GO TO HIM FIRST before I choose, decide or speak sometimes. It’s constantly being aware of my need for His Grace & the extra umpf that Living Water gives. I’m so thankful.

I get these in my email also, which makes me a quick reader with no response.
    (shame on me) all the benefits and no feedback. But blessed none the same.
    If I had this gift of writing… diapers couldn’t hold me back. So how’s the book?

Love ya…and I’m one of your spiritually fed sheep,
    Peggy (maybe I should have been anonymous since I’m such a lazy blogger)

1. Weekend Blend - [...] Medic Alert – Daily Devotional [...]