I Need Thee Every Hour

Please join us in welcoming Stacey Thacker today!

“For the eyes of the Lord move to and fro throughout the earth, that He may strongly support those whose hearts are fully committed to Him.”  2 Chronicles 16:9a, NASB

Struggle.

Weary.

Tired.

Exasperated.

All synonyms for how I’m feeling lately. Six months of not enough sleep and I have become a walking shell of myself. So last week, I began singing a song the Lord put in my heart. It is an old hymn that I remember singing at church when I was a little girl. I haven’t heard it in years. The chorus goes like this:

I need thee, Oh I need thee.

Every hour I need thee.

Oh bless me now my Savior,

I come to thee.

Guess what the closing song of invitation was the next Sunday morning during our very contemporary worship service? “I Need Thee Every Hour.” It was as though I was the only one in the 5,000seat auditorium and He played it just for me. Then I heard the Lord whisper,

“I see you.

You are never alone.

I am at work.

This is all part of the plan.

I have you right where I want you —needing Me every hour.”

I discovered today, this hymn was written in June of 1872 by Annie Hawks, a housewife in Brooklyn. She wrote it as a beautiful prayer of dependence on the Lord, while working in the kitchen. I smiled when I read this and thought to myself, “He is so in the details of our lives!  That He would choose this song for me, written by a woman just like me.  He is so good, isn’t He?”

Lord,

I realize that your plan for me is good and that you know exactly where I am today.  I am poured out.  I am tired.  I am weary.  But you Lord see me.  In fact you are actively looking for me and your desire is to strongly support me. What a beautiful exchange.  I give you my tired, my weary, my sin, and you give me life, energy, purpose, and forgiveness. I am unworthy Lord for such attention. Today may I look around at this beautiful place of need and see only You.

What about you?

What is the Lord whispering to you today?

Are you in a place of great need?

How has the Lord met you in the midst of that need?

Looking Forward,

Stacey

If you stop by 29lincolnavenue you will meet Stacey.  She is  the wife of Mike, a motorcycle riding techno genius, who has served with Campus Crusade for Christ for the past 17 years. Together, they are raising four vibrant girls ages 4 months to 10 years.  Most days, she tries to teach them a thing or two about having a Biblical worldview, math and language.  Everyday, they teach her how to grow in grace, patience and my dependence on the Lord!  Find Stacy at her blog: 29lincolnavenue

Lori MacMath

Lori's daily mantra includes praying, "I will take it Lord, ALL you have to give," and a commitment to live out Colossians 3:17 daily. It's her prayer that the energy that fills her spirit be with her till her dying breath! She recently traded the sauna of the Deep South, for the snow of Chicago. After 19 years in Atlanta, Lori has bought herself a coat and some winter boots and is ready for the NEXT adventure at Harvest Bible Chapel / Chicago West. She navigates this road with her husband of 26 years and they have 3 children, ranging in age from 17 - 22. She seeks daily to be creative and use the gifts the Lord has given her. With the heart of an artist and a spirit to live intentionally missional, Lori strives daily to see Him in all that surrounds her. Encouraging women on their daily walk with the Lord is her passion! She has recently stepped out into NEW territory with her husband and some very dedicated disciples to launch a mission business. She would be HONORED if you'd visit Hope Products International where providing HOPE to the world through fair trade and sustainable products. Lori has served as Camp/Leadership Adventure Coordinator, a mid week Bible club for elementary and upper elementary students in a local public elementary school as well as being on staff at her church. She is excited in this season to watch the Lord unfold HIS plans for the next step on the journey. Helping others see the transforming power of Jesus is at the heart of all she does. Her heart for children, women and all those on the broken road is at the core of everything she does. She LOVES playing graphically and encouraging others through visual arts. It truly inspires her and fills her spirit.

1. This is so beautiful!!!

2. Very lovely.

3. What a wonderful example of God being in the details. I love it!

I never knew about the author of that song. Who would have thought that a housewife would have written it! Praise God! It definitely gives it new meaning to me. I grew up singing that song as well.

Our church hosts Campus Crusade every year! Yay!

Blessings!
    Beth

4. Beautiful, Stacey!! I needed this today!! Love you, friend!

5. I DEFINITELY needed this reminder. Thank you SO much for sharing. Blessings!

6. Thank you for your entry, it meant a lot to me. I woke up 7 weeks ago to the reality that everything I thought I knew about my present and future financial well being was gone, completely gone! I’ve been obedient with tithing and being faithful and active in my church, so I know that this is not a punishment for disobedience in those areas. However, I do believe He is allowing this so I will draw closer to Him and be more dependent on Him. Though this has been shockingly painful, I know that God is going to do a great thing in my life. I know He will see me through, and during this journey I will know more about my Father and love Him more than ever!

• Amy Carmichael said, “There is not pit so deep that God is not deeper still”. I truly believe that true faith is always tested – and true faith will always persevere. Trials do come in our lives, and you are right to say that God allows them for a season of growing our faith and our dependance on Him. At other times, He allows it so we can carry our witness for Him as others are watching to see how we will respond. Either way it is not easy to walk. But rest assured He is with you every step of the way. I will pray that He sweetly holds you and leads you during this time.

Stacey

7. Wow! Thank you so much for this… my heart leapt to read these words… I am tired and weary and anxious. We are packing up our home and leaving our friends and moving to California so I can start medical school… I tired of working, and packing, and never having enough time to see everyone before we leave… But I am so glad to be reminded that my Creator already knows and sees and is right there!

• I read your comment and will be saying prayers for you as you make this transition. God is with you and keep your eyes on him daily.

8. Beautiful! I love the perspective shift… “Today may I look around at this beautiful place of need and see only You.” May we all see that place of need as a beautiful place where we meet our Lord! Kind of makes me want to go wear myself out. 😉 ♥ Michelle

9. Beautiful post, Stacey! And WELCOME! 🙂

10. What a beautiful post! I love that song! I can so relate how I need to rely on Him as He is the only one that can give me relief from depression, pain, etc.

Have a great weekend!
    Sherry

• I am so glad you were encouraged! Thanks so much for your sweet words!

11. Isn’t this just so like God? He led me to your post today because I needed to read your precious words. Thank you for that.

My circumstances are quite different as I’m not raising a family this season in my life. However, there are challenges. I’ve not heard that beloved song for much too long. I think I will listen to it today and dwell on those words.

Thanks so much.

Debbie

12. Wow, what a beautiful encouraging post. I find myself humming that tune also because it is one I learned as a child. It’ll be a rich and precious moment whem I sing it to the Lord next! How blessed we are to have such a loving attentive Saviour!

Thanks again, luv Lynny

• How blessed we are indeed Lynny! I hope you tuck that hymn in your heart and enjoy it all week long! I am so glad you were encouraged.

May God bless you,