Talking with God

I allow each of my boys to pray at night as they are lying in bed. My youngest boy is three and my oldest is five. The youngest one usually prays and his older brother then follows. At first my youngest boy didn’t want to pray because he was embarrassed. He didn’t pray like his older brother, and I think that made him self-conscious. However, I encouraged him without any pressured expectations, and he started to pray now and then.

One night, my youngest son jumped into praying. He prayed for juice, toys, cookies, popcorn, etc. I could hear my oldest son snickering under his breath. When my youngest son said, “Amen,” I kissed him and went over to my oldest son’s bed.

I whispered in his ear, “You used to pray like that. He will get better and better as he practices. Let’s not make fun of him, okay?”

My oldest son looked grave and shook his head in agreement. He then prayed his prayer with confidence. He asked God to bless our family and protect us while we slept. I kissed him goodnight, turned off the lights and shut the door behind me.

Prayer is often so misunderstood. There are people who can pray all the pretty religious phrases and others who are straightforward. They are all beautiful as long as the motive is right. What is the motive of prayer? To speak to God.

We have an amazing line to God, and it takes time to get the hang of it. We must not beat ourselves up if we feel like we didn’t pray right. God hears the heart, not the words. The only way to get better at talking with God is to practice – practice makes perfect!

Do you feel like your prayers are hitting the ceiling? Be honest with God, and He will meet you where you are at. He wants to communicate with you more than anything. How can you save time for him every day? What could you take out or move in your schedule in order to put praying to God as priority?

And just remember that when there are no words, Jesus prays on your behalf!

“I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours” (John 17.9 NIV).

Blessings to ya!

Alisa Hope Wagner

Alisa Hope Wagner is aggressive about leading a simple life. She enjoys working out, reading, writing and communicating God’s love and truth. She married her high school sweetheart, and together they enjoy raising their children in a Christ-centered home. Though an introvert by nature, Alisa easily expresses herself through social media, especially on her blog. She has earned her B.A. Degree in English and her M.S. Degree in Applied English Linguistics, and she volunteered in women’s ministry leadership and life group ministry for her church. She trained in Mixed Martial Arts and won her bout by TKO! She has written her debut novel, Eve of Awakening, and has started the sequel, Bear Into Redemption.

1. Such a great post.

2. I remember when my prayer felt like I was just talking at God, rather than meeting with Him. Over time it got easier and I began talking to Him all day, not just on my knees at my bedside. Recently, I feel that I’ve lost that intimacy and I back to talking at Him. I’ve gotten out of practice. Thank you for sharing such a simple thought that’s exactly what I need to be reminded of.

3. I love this post. I used to be so afraid to pray in front of others like your youngest son. I was afraid of what others would think of my prayers. I now see that it has nothing to do with what others think and everything to do with my relationship with HIM.
    Amy

4. SO true Al! Wonderful words once again to describe what God is teaching you. LOVE IT!

5. I remember how self-conscious I was a few years ago when I prayed aloud with others for the first time. Sometimes I still get anxious. But when I focus on God the anxiety melts away.

Cute story 🙂

6. What a beautiful post:-) You’re right, more important than the words is the fact that we have a desire to be in conversation with God.

Blessings.

7. I am smiling because you handled that beautifully. You are right we grow in how we pray, and we not only have Jesus but the Holy Spirit who intercedes for us with groanings, etc. God is good. I have learned, and it took a long time to learn this, that even if we don’t see God, He is there. Maybe not the way we thought he would be there, but that doesn’t mean He isn’t there.

8. “Father, help us to seek You every day. We know that it takes work to forge an intimate relationship with You. Put a passion in us that seeks to know You more. We pray this in Jesus’ name, amen.”

amen amen amen..I joined you in this prayer.

Yesterday I was listening to a tape of my two eldest boys when they were your sons ages now. It brought tears to my eyes to hear their voices, listening to them sing away.

Congrats on being nominated top 100. Blessings dear sister.

9. Beautiful post and great reminder that He wants to meet us where we are.

10. Beautifully written. 🙂

11. Thanks Alisa! Another wonderful post. I love the time I get to spend with our Heavenly Father in prayer – I am so thankful that he gives us the privilege to come boldly to his throne of grace and meet with Him, and like you said, He meets us right where we are.

12. I’m not so sure your little guy needs to ‘get better’ with his prayers. I think he has it right. Leave it to the children to come to God as children…we need to learn from them.

13. John 17 is my favorite chapter in the Bible.

I love how Jesus prays for us even though He knows that He’s about to be crucified.

I pray several verses of this chapter over my family almost daily.

For protection. Sanctification. And unity.

You’re doing a great job with your sons. Be encouraged.

Sweet dreams.

14. Thank you for this. I love speaking to God and praying, on my own. But I have a very difficult time praying in front of others. I want to get over this paranoia, but don’t really know how. I realize it is my insecurity getting in the way and I just need to focus on the fact that God knows my heart and it doesnt matter how I sound or what others think. I will pray about this and ask God for guidance, thanks again.